Go beyond general document editing skills
A medical editor, who ensures the consistency of facts, data and scientific units and makes the manuscript clear and precise, should be technically meticulous more than general editing on spelling, grammar and punctuation errors in a manuscript.
Medical Editing Services – PEPGRA
Acquire basic knowledge of different medical specialties
- Critical Care
- Hematology & Oncology
- Infectious Diseases
- Rare Diseases
- Vaccine Development
However, as it may not be possible for an editor to have knowledge in different areas, a medical editor should acquire basic knowledge in different therapeutic areas with related scientific terms.
Learn drug development process, drug safety, and pharmacology
Medical editing is chiefly related to medical documents such as trial protocols, investigator brochures and clinical study reports of different phases. So, understanding the process of drug development, drug safety, and clinical research can be proper requirements for medical editing.
Develop knowledge of technical guidelines
As a medical editor, it is better for you to develop knowledge in technical guidelines related to drug development, registration, clinical study reports, investigator’s brochures, patient information leaflets, clinical overviews and periodic safety reports and copy editing styles such as APA, AMA and CMS.
“Tips and Techniques” before you hit “Publish”
- Initially, examine whether the abstract makes logical sense scientifically and the sentences in the abstract are ordered and coordinated.
- Study whether the tables and figures in the manuscript are statistically stating the correct data and facts, and check the accuracy of images.
- Make sure whether the authors have applied appropriate research methods.
- Read the findings and conclusion to find whether the obtained result is logical.
- Analyze whether the manuscript is concise and well organized.
Need more help? Get your manuscripts comprehensively and systematically edited by our experts who are highly skilled in medical editing.